Stickler for grammar, hoping for a career in journalism and lover of theatre? Then join our editorial team.
Editors are the backbone of Everything Theatre, and the most senior members of our team. It’s quite a challenging role, but being an editor is great experience for those hoping for a career in journalism. You’ll be able to review shows as well, so you’ll get the free theatre tickets! Specific responsibilities include:
– editing, posting and publishing reviews;
– maintaining our high written standards;
– ensuring that all reviews published on the site conform to our editorial code;
– posting reviews to our social media channels;
– providing feedback to our wonderful team of reviewers;
– contributing to the overall development of the site
Plus all the responsibilities of being a reviewer of course (see here for details)
OUR EDITORIAL CODE
We describe ourselves as an ‘honest and unpretentious guide to the London theatre scene’, and that forms the basis of our editorial code. We’re interested in the whole experience, and in reviews that anybody – even those who have no idea about theatre – will understand and relate to. Informality, humour, balanced opinions, highlighting the little things that matter and a positive attitude are essential. We also endeavour to be constructive in our criticism; we’re not here to bash people unnecessarily and unfairly.
The main time commitment we ask for in this role is about 3 hours per week to edit, post and publish reviews. However, the workload will be adaptable and we will always work around your schedule – you’ll be a volunteer after all!
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL
– Have an infectious passion for theatre;
– Have extremely high levels of written English;
– Be a positive and constructive person;
– Be a competent and engaging writer that suits our style;
– Be able to meet tight deadlines;
– Be willing to contribute to the overall development of the website.
This position would be ideal for people who are looking to develop a career in writing and / or journalism of some form!
PERKS OF THE JOB
– Excellent journalism / theatre critic experience;
– Great exposure (our readership is growing rapidly);
– Meet new people, be they other members of the team or theatre professionals;
– Be a part of a unique and rapidly growing team.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to explain why you would be a good fit for this role. Please also attach a 600 word review of a play you have seen recently.